Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 1 Reflection

Pre-camp

The nanotechnology one sounds interesting as there the many facts that were went through were all new to me. For example the Feynman’s Challenges, to shrink the text of his speech by 25,000 times and to produce a small motor. I think I can learn more about atoms and the way most things work. Not really, I'm not really well-versed in nanotechnology so I do not really know what to ask.


Plenary Sessions

I learnt that there are Global Positioning Systems(GPS) stationed around Sunatra and the network is known as Sumatran GPS Array, SuGAr. By using SuGAr and a slab of ancient coral, forecasts can be made. I also learnt that different layers in the ground shows how bad an earthquake/tsunami was(via the thickness) and its age(via how many layers there are on top of it). (Plenary Session 1)
I found it engaging and I learnt that anime were not as simple as they seemed, the production of a 22min episode can take as long as half a year. (Plenary Session 2)
I learnt that a nanometre is 1 billionth of a metre and the diameter of our hair is 80,000 nanometres. (Plenary Session 3)

Overall, the lecturers were very friendly and the talks were interestingly filled with information.

No comments:

Post a Comment